Having a baby is supposed to be a joyous occasion and parents look forward to welcoming a healthy baby, but mistakes from medical professionals in Illinois can result in birth injuries. At Raymond & Raymond Law, we understand the difficulties of these injuries and help parents file medical malpractice lawsuits.
The Birth Injury Justice Center estimates that seven out of 1,000 children are born with a birth injury in the United States each year. One of the most common injuries is cerebral palsy, which results in physical and mental developmental delays. Another common injury is brachial plexus palsy, in which the nerves between the neck and the shoulder are damaged as a result of physical trauma caused by a doctor during delivery.
In many situations, these injuries are avoidable and can be the direct result of negligence on the part of the medical staff. While babies can fully recover some injuries, others do not have a 100% recovery rate, which means the child may have lifelong difficulties or require permanent care. For example, a baby born with Erb’s palsy, a form of brachial plexus palsy, has between an 80% and 90% chance of making a full recovery. Children that fall in the remaining 10% may require surgery that only partially corrects the doctor’s mistake. From there, the child may have difficulty participating in sports and struggle with self-esteem for the rest of their life.
While these injuries are not common, they do happen and doctors should be held responsible. For more information about how medical negligence can lead to birth trauma, please visit our page about birth injuries to babies.